Saturday, January 12, 2013

Day 11/30: "George Glass"

Day 11/30:  "George Glass"  - Trying to challenge myself today with the painting challenge by painting something I tend to shy away from....glass!  I went to the mecca for still life painters in Montgomery this week (aka Eastbrook Flea Market) in search of colored glass.  Struggling to come up with a title, I've named this "George Glass" from an old Brady Bunch episode.  I watched way too much tv in the 70s.  Anybody else remember Jan's imaginary boyfriend?  :)
"George Glass"
8"x6"
Oil on Board
 
There are a few things I shy away from painting because they are just so intimidating.  Glass is one of those things.  During this painting challenge (30 Paintings in 30 Days) one of my goals is to push myself into losing my fear of painting glass, reflective surfaces, figures, etc.  It's just paint!  What am I scared of??
 
Anyway, I ventured out to our huge local flea  market and antique store this week in search of colored glass.  I am inspired by Carol Marine who just knows exactly where to place those highlights and by my friend, Carrie Waller, a masterful watercolor artist who does glass like nobody's business! 
 
The title?  Inspired by a Brady Bunch episode.  Jan makes up a story about having a boyfriend named "George".  When pressed for a last name, she looks around the room and sees (you guessed it)...a glass.  George.  George Glass.  Yeah, that's his name, George Glass! ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's amazing how "30 paintings in 30 days" makes us face our fears! I was scared of watercolors for like 10 years (after my first unsuccessful attempt at school), and now it's my favorite medium!

Your painting is wonderful, Barbara! You definitely should paint glass!

Barbara said...

Thank you so much, Irina! It's been a really good experience! I was in a workshop where the instructor said, "It's just paint! It's just canvas! What are you afraid of?" It's so true!!
Happy painting!!